RWET Final Documentation: Decent Dialogues

Inspiration and Intention

As a foreigner, when I talk with people in English, it’s sometimes a little bit embarrassing. Like when people ask me:”How’s going?” I’m always not if I should answer like “good”/”fine”, or answer it with more details or emotions to show my respect – cuz in China, people never greet by asking questions.

So we are wondering if we can build up a specific structure for questions and answers, based on different people’s styles.

What We Do

  • Select the most frequently-used words quoted from various celebrities;
  • Based on our source texts, re-construct the words and generate different questions;
  • Answer these special-style-questions with a fixed structure.

    Techniques We Use

  • Web scrapping using selenium
  • Enable user queries using Flask
  • Extract part-of-speech tagging using Spacy
  • Reform the sentence based on a certain structure

    Examples We’ve Got

    Final Results

    Final Performance

RWET Assignment 5 & 7

I combined these two assignments together (API and function).

import urllib
import json
import sys
import random
kWords=[]

for line in sys.stdin:
line = line.strip()
words = line.split(” “)
for word in words:
if len(word)>=1:
word=word.lower()
kWords.append(word)
api_key = “a2a73e7b926c924fad7001ca3111acd55af2ffabf50eb4ae5”
for kWord in kWords:
# print kWord
# print type(kWord)

url = “http://api.wordnik.com:80/v4/word.json/”+kWord+”/relatedWords?useCanonical=true&relationshipTypes=synonym&limitPerRelationshipType=10&api_key=”+api_key
doc_str = urllib.urlopen(url).read()
doc_data = json.loads(doc_str)

try:
synonyms=doc_data[0][“words”]
synonym=random.choice(synonyms)
except IndexError:
synonym=”universal”

# try:
# synonyms=doc_data[0][“words”]
# synonym=random.choice(synonyms)
# except IndexError:
# print “error”
# synonym=”universal”

# synonyms=doc_data[0][“words”]
# synonym=random.choice(synonyms)
print synonym

So the course description is changed to be like this:

Subtraction Assignment 10: 4 Axis 3D Part

At first I found a model of a high-heel shoe online.

Ben taught me how to set everything, but he told me this project is not qualified, since I’m supposed to build the model myself.

So I tried it in Rhino:


There’s a problem that the 4 Axis Mill asks us to use materials with long x-length (and I don’t know why), but then my classmate told me we can fake the data on the software.

Another problem is that it’s hard to carve characters or patterns on the shapes – it will leave very shallow marks, but hard to see it clearly.

Draft for Final

Last year I’ve composed a song representing my feelings after coming to ITP. Now I edited this song and selected part of the instrument tracks and created a new midi.

The tracks are now like this:

I like these tiny little note drops, they look so nice:

I’m wondering if I can change them in a random way, just like John Cage’s Chance Operation.

Right now I’m thinking about two ways to achieve that. The first is to use Python to recreate it (here’s a tutorial I found):

And if I can’t do it ideally, I’ll change it manually by changing the chords, or even making the instrument combinations not neat chords any more.

Right now the instrument tracks I’ve selected are like this:

It’s a very standard pop music format (even without the vocal/melody track). I’m looking forward to making it unrecognizable!

Subtraction Midterm

I just wanna make a very simple desk shelf.

Firstly I drew a draft it in AI. (I just planned to try, and if it works I’ll add more designs, but…)

Then I encountered unexpected problems when I imported it into Vectorworks, and then MasterCam.

I realized maybe it’s because of the combination of shapes.

I tried importing the file directly from AI, it’s even worse.

I adjusted the drawing in AI and drew it again, but MasterCam and CNC had problem recognizing my drawing.

CNC told me it needed 17 hours to cut it. RIDICULOUS!

Then Ben told me that’s because when I drew it in Vectorworks, the shapes covered each other altogether, so it got multiple layers, which led to trouble.

Finally I drew the shapes in Vectorworks. And it worked!

Since I spent too much time on re-editing the format of my drawings, my design is awful. This shelf is so shaky and I think I need to add some stakes for it to stand stably.

After fixing it, it can stand by itself stably right now: