Basically, my idea is to make a wheel of fortune. Since at first, I assume our PComp and ICM final projects should be combined together for our winter show.
I didn’t write the code through website but it’s in my laptop, so I recorded a short video.
My wheel of fortune works like this: it rotates as we activate it, and it stops when we press the mouse (or press another key, still adjusting).
And my p5 is connected with my arduino, which controls the Servo. Only PINK, ORANGE and BLUE will activate the Servo to rotate, which brings different colors of sugar into my cotton candy machine. And other colors will lead to nothing.
If the right color is activated, it will pour the sugar into the machine, and my Cotton Candy machine will start to work.
The Servo will pour different colors of sugar into the machine, and people who activated it can make cotton candy themselves.
Right now I only have this draft version of both my p5 and arduino codes. I’ll add more decorations and functions to my p5, like I may activate the camera so that people can see themselves’ faces at the center of the wheel – which may be a good way to attract people. And I’ll add music to make the wheel more like a casino game. Also, I’ll define different colors different meanings, so even if people can’t get the change to make cotton candy, it will be less boring.
This week we need to hold two different materials together.
Firstly I thought about making a golden edged handkerchief, just as what is like what the characters use in Northeastern China’s traditional song-and-dance duet. But I realized the cultural gap, and it would be too hilarious to be an assignment, and there may be no one who can get my point.
Then I wanted to 3D print a sword, and laser cut a sword scabbard. But then I found I couldn’t book 3D printing machine during final time.
Finally I decided to make it as simple as possible: to make a Windmill.
Firstly I tested different materials and I chose the postcard for our winter show.
I cut a small wooden stick and sanded it to make it flat and smooth.
I needed to cut the postcard to make it a square first.
I cut and folded the post card.
When I fold it to be a windmill, I stick different parts together.
After glued it, I needed to hold it for a while.
Now I need to connect it with the wooden stick.
I used a needle to get across from the windmill to the wooden stick.
At first I thought I could sew it together, but then I realized that the string could not work if it’s thiner than the needle – it would get through the whole stuff.
Fastening is supposed to be the hardest part. I considered for a while and tried different materials, finally I decided to weld the needle.
I cut the needle to make it shorter using the high temperature, then I welded it to fix it.
So it works like this:
In case sometimes the gif doesn’t work, here’s the original video:
It’s simple and childish I know. But this is the only thing which finally came to me that could work : P
This week our assignment is to make enclosure. I decided to make a music box, which I have been expecting for a long time. I bought a music movement with the song La Vie De Rose. When it arrived, I found it really tiny.
I found a piece of wood, and cut it into small pieces to fit my movement.
I wanted to make it as tiny as the movement, so I only left a thin frame to it.
I cut it depending on what I’ve drawn.
And I sanded it to make it more flat.
I drilled holes by using the Drill Bits in shop.
I drilled several holes to fit my movement’s size.
But if I move my movement, it’s really ugly and disgusting. “Is it honeycomb briquette?” My friend said. I smiled.
Finally I decided to give it up and made it again from scratch. This time I asked a second year student, Phil, to teach me.
He told me to choose a larger piece of wood at first. He said we need to leave more spaces, cuz we are always losing our wood while we cut, sand, and drill it.
So this time the wood piece is much larger than last time.
He told me to draw a draft on the wood piece. Firstly I need to locate the outline of the movement, then I need to calculate and locate where the circles (which I’m gonna drill) should be.
He lent me his Forstner Bit, so I would not drill deep holes like last time. And he also reminded me to clean the dust while I’m drilling.
After drilling four holes, it turns out that I needed to drill more.
It’s hard to control the wood when we are not drilling a complete circle. So he told me to drill it super super slowly to keep it stable.
After drilling the hole on the side, I found it was hard to insert the hand shank in it.
Phil told me to drill a larger circle and a smaller one, so the movement would not move weirdly.
After drilling all the holes, I sanded the box to make it smoother.
And I laser cut a cover for my music box. Because the song is La Vie De Rose, I chose rose as the image, but since my friend told me that the lines in the image I chose was too tiny, so I also made plan B – a simpler rose image.
Firstly I didn’t set it to be powerful enough, so it wasn’t cut even after five time of cutting. Then I changed the power, and it worked!