Final Assignment: Owl 3D Puzzle

I was planning to make a 3D puzzle. Firstly, based on a picture and a tutorial from website, I built a simple owl.

I used Edge Surface to build curves to cut the little owl in to four pieces.

And I created small joints (created a cylinder, use BooleanUnion and BooleanDifference).

I didn’t draw drafts for my design, cuz I wasn’t able to make it complicated but I wanted to. Finally I just made it super simple like Lego pieces.

I left the whole Monday to finish printing, but I didn’t realize that one of the 3D printers was broken and created a disaster:

But luckily, the other printer worked.

So basically, my project works like this:

The complete version is here:

3D Printing Final Proposal

What first came to my mind was a slide puzzle like this:

And there’s also a traditional game which I’d like to make, named Klotski:

But I realized that these are hard to 3D print, it’s more suitable for laser-cutting or CNC.

Then I went through lots of 3D models (not only created by Rhino) to get inspiration. Basically, I am interested in making a 3D puzzle.

If I can make such complicated puzzles, it should be really cool. But due to the time and material limitation, I want to create something much simpler.

Like this:

Or just simple like this:

About the complete model, I would like it to be an owl.

Why? Because little owls are soooooooo cute!

And I am not planning to make the puzzle piece by piece – it’s to time consuming! Instead, I want to make it portion by portion (maybe only 2 or 4 portions in total).

Let me try if I can finish it… if not, I’ll go back to make an earth model as the 3D puzzle, or something else…

Or maybe, after learning making joints, I can try something like Klotski?

3D Printing Assignment 4: updated line container

Based on what I did last week, I planned to make my line container more good-looking, so I designed a simple heart.

I cut the heart with two cylinders, so that I have space for my charger.

Then I printed it:

But it doesn’t work so well. I assumed it’s because the cylinder is too wide, so I made it narrower and printed it again. (Actually I rebuilt the whole heart because I closed the file so I couldn’t go back)

Unfortunately, the charger line still didn’t stay in the heart. Then I realized maybe heart is not a good shape for a charger line.

I realized that last time my charger line didn’t stay for long time if I keep moving it, so this time I went back to the original file and adjusted the size to be a little bit larger (just scaled for around 1.02 times).

From left to right, these are my heart1, heart2, and updated original work. The first one seems a little bit dirty, because I sanded it – I didn’t realize that it should not be sanded. And the second one’s shape is much uglier than the first one, they were all built by me but I don’t know why. Also, the hearts don’t look like heart at all, they look like garlics.

What a sad story.

3D Printing Assignment 1: Capsule

For the first week, I’m making a capsule.

Firstly I drew a tube, then I added a sphere under it.

I trimmed the sphere so that it only has its lower half part.

And I mirrored the sphere so the capsule is created.

Then I grouped everything together.

If I want to move them separately, I can still achieve that.

And I used DuplicateEdge – Join – Loft, to make the hollow capsule cover solid.

 

Nature of code Final: pixel sorting

Inspired by Jeff Thompson’s GitHub (https://github.com/jeffThompson/PixelSorting), I’ve made my own tryings.

Firstly, I selected a video and automated it into a gif file through terminal. (Not necessary for this project, just did it for fun)

The original gif file is like this (yeah this is my friend Jade):

Based on what Jeff said:

This particular script loops through both the columns and the rows of the image, but it doesn’t pixel sort the entire column or row, if it did, the result would look more like a blank gradient than anything interesting. Instead for each column and row it looks for a pixel to start sorting on and then it looks for a pixel to stop sorting on — this makes the algorithm somewhat intelligent resulting in identifiable elements of the image being left untouched.

So I tried different mode to decide which pixel to start sorting on, and which to stop.

Black Mode:

Brightness Mode:

White Mode:

 

 

Subtraction Final Project

I built this project inspired by a segment from a film: A Chinese Odyssey.

In this segment, the faery enters the hero’s heart and finds who he really loved, then she leaves a tear in his heart.

Since this film is being re-shot recently, I strongly want to make something to show my respect to it.

So I decided to make a heart which can contain something like a tear.

RWET Final Documentation: Decent Dialogues

Inspiration and Intention

As a foreigner, when I talk with people in English, it’s sometimes a little bit embarrassing. Like when people ask me:”How’s going?” I’m always not if I should answer like “good”/”fine”, or answer it with more details or emotions to show my respect – cuz in China, people never greet by asking questions.

So we are wondering if we can build up a specific structure for questions and answers, based on different people’s styles.

What We Do

  • Select the most frequently-used words quoted from various celebrities;
  • Based on our source texts, re-construct the words and generate different questions;
  • Answer these special-style-questions with a fixed structure.

    Techniques We Use

  • Web scrapping using selenium
  • Enable user queries using Flask
  • Extract part-of-speech tagging using Spacy
  • Reform the sentence based on a certain structure

    Examples We’ve Got

    Final Results

    Final Performance